"You are not just your sun sign—or any other planetary sign, You are a sum of all of those parts. By synthesizing your sun, moon, and rising signs, you gain a more cohesive, complete, and nuanced portrait of who you are, how you feel, and what gifts you've been given to navigate your life." - Maria Sofia Marmanides.
(Not sure what your sun, moon, and rising signs are? Input your birthdate, time, and location information into an online natal chart generator like this one.)
Sun sign: your soul and mission in life
The sun sign is our personality. It is the essence that you shine out into the world. We are always trying to improve whatever talents our sun sign is naturally endowed with, making us very conscious of our sun sign. Your sun sign is how you answer the question “I am” and how you experience life and express your individuality. When looking at others, you will see the sun sign as the person's style and general demeanor.
- Gemini, Libra, or Aquarius: express intellectually & recharge by thinking and talking
Often when we meet someone with the same Sun sign as us, we find that we have a lot in common with them. This is because your Sun sign establishes some outwardly obvious preferences in terms of what you do and don’t like, both within your own life and from other people’s behavior. But some Sun signs are said to be “incompatible” with each other because our preferences can clash with someone too similar or too different.
Moon sign: emotional experience and sense of security
The moon is the soul behind your identity. It is the sign that represents who we truly are on the deepest level. It is the subconscious side of yourself that you typically keep hidden. It's how we experience ourselves because it shows our most fundamental needs in life and how we find security in the world. We actively seek out the things that satisfy our moons, because our moon sign is how we feel pleasure and pain, joy and sorrow, and gives insight into how you nurture and restore yourself. If the needs of our moon aren't met, we feel unsatisfied and empty.
- Gemini, Libra, or Aquarius: emotional response to events in your life usually includes trying to understand them mentally
- Aries, Leo, or Sagittarius: emotional response to events in your life usually includes finding strength, confidence and taking action
- Taurus, Virgo, or Capricorn: emotional response to events in your life usually includes maintaining stability and taking a practical approach
- Cancer, Scorpio, or Pisces: emotional response to events in your life usually includes feeling through them deeply and sensitively
Your Moon sign can also change the tone at which you express your Sun sign by either amplifying it or muting it.
Rising sign: The key to your chart
Your Rising Sign, also called the Ascendant, is the Zodiac Sign that was on the Eastern Horizon in the sky at the moment you were born. While the sun and moon signs are attached to planets, the rising sign is only attached to a point. It means that it is less a part of who we are and more a way we see and experience the world. It colors a person's world like a lens and represents the person's way of interacting with the world.
- Gemini, Libra, or Aquarius: you have a tendency to want to understand the meaning behind your encounters
- Aries, Leo, or Sagittarius: you have a lot of energy and come across as confident; sometimes even blunt
- Taurus, Virgo, or Capricorn: you are seen as a stable influence by others and you may find that people tend to rely on you
- Cancer, Scorpio, or Pisces: you are sensitive and empathetic with people, and you may even take on the emotions of others
☽ ☆ ☾
So, I’m curious to know – what’s your Sun, Moon and Rising sign? Let us know in the comments below.